About Green Port
The Green Port Hull vision is to establish Hull and the East Riding of Yorkshire as a world class centre for renewable energy, creating wealth and employment for the region.
By taking advantage of the Port of Hull’s prime location in relation to the offshore wind opportunities in the North Sea the region is perfectly placed to capitalise on the UK’s offshore wind industry.
Hull City and East Riding Councils and Associated British Ports (ABP) along with partner organisations have been working together to ensure that this ambitious vision becomes a reality.
Through the Regional Growth Fund significant funding has been secured for skills & employment, business support, and research and development to ensure that local people and business gain maximum benefit from the renewable energy sector. The University of Hull is working to ensure that the knowledge element of the sector establishes itself in Hull.
These attributes are the reason that Siemens has chosen Hull as the location to build its world class offshore wind turbine blade manufacturing, assembly and servicing facilities that will form the centre piece of Green Port Hull.
The Siemens investment will be the catalyst for the Green Port Hull vision as we work jointly to optimise the co-location advantages of the offshore wind supply chain.
As well as offshore wind there are major opportunities in bio fuels, carbon capture and storage, waste to energy, solar, wave and tidal power generation.
The renewable energy sector will be the single biggest influence on the local economy for generations, creating thousands of new jobs along with a wealth of opportunity for local people and business.
Green Port Hull offers a range of benefits, including:
- Almost 500 hectares of employment land, some with direct quayside access
- Strategic location within 12 hours’ sailing time from three major Round 3 wind farm zones
- Programme of investment totalling £500 million
- Enterprise Zone incentives
- Designated Centre for Offshore Renewable Engineering
- A portfolio of deliverable sites in the port and its hinterland
- Dedicated investor support
- Extensive infrastructure and logistics capability
- Excellent connectivity by road, rail, sea and air
- A skilled workforce
- An emerging supply chain
- Civic leadership committed to realising these opportunities
- A world-class university
- Competitive employment costs