About the business
As a leading global engineering and technology services company, Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy (SGRE) provides innovative solutions to help tackle the world’s major challenges in the areas of electrification, automation and digitalization. SGRE realises that it’s only through our people that we can continue to outpace our competitors, break new ground and set new standards for progress in societies worldwide. That’s why we work hard to make sure we offer excellent rewards and opportunities to our employees.
Our Wind Power business has invested £160 million in a rotor blade manufacturing facility, at Alexandra Dock in Hull in Yorkshire. Constucted in 2016, our 1,000 strong work force produces the blades for load out to the Offshore Wind Farms around the UK. We are now recruiting for a Lean Specialist to be part of this exciting business.
The Lean Specialist will be responsible for implementation, securing and further development of all LEAN activities within the blade manufacturing facility with the goal of achieving productivity gains through a continuous improvement process. The Lean Specialist will be responsible for ensuring adherence to SPS (Siemens Production Systems), controlling the Lean implementation program, on-going maintenance and associated competence management and training.
What are my responsibilities?
- Drive and support of all lean activities in the defined areas of responsibility, so that a continuous improvement process is consequently implemented.
- Analysis of processes / themes / disruptions in the workplace. Identification of weak points, develop solutions and support related implementation, in order to improve performance and to gain further improvement.
- Definition of standards, description of methods and development of documentation (including also processes, work place development, tools and methods) so that cross-functional (across team or department) knowledge is made available and applicable.
- Facilitation of meetings, workshops and coaching of change processes and activities in the defined areas of responsibilities, so that the successful implementation of LEAN thinking is assured.
- Evaluation of costs and benefits of projects and controlling measure implementation, in order to provide the key figures and benefit statements. Standards must be assured, timetable kept and if necessary escalated in the early stages.
- Provision of Input to the creation and maintenance of LEAN roadmaps for 3-5 years (defining measures, driving lighthouse projects, planning, organising and facilitating workshops and training, preparing the roll-out plan etc.)
- Organisation of and participation in "Best Practice sharing" (internal and external) and "LEAN Benchmarking" activities
- Execution of LEAN screening/assessment in own area of responsibility, as well as input collection and tracking LEAN KPIs
- Identification of skills gaps and training requirement, training execution and coordination of key Lean employees in the plant / location.
- Lead and support continuous improvement projects with the production lines
- Provide methodologies and problem solving tools to employees via deployment of a “lean tool box”
- Training of the key lean tools (5 minutes briefing, 5S, Visual Management, 5 why, Gemba, Kaizen Events) and other tools as required
All employees should be constantly aware of their responsibilities for ensuring a workplace where EHS is the top priority. They should engage with both Line Managers and the EHS Team to ensure that, where practicable, they are familiar with the Siemens EHS management system.
What do I need to qualify for this role?
- Degree level or similar in manufacturing/ engineering.
- Significant experience of working with LEAN Business Methodologies/Tools (both academic & experience in self-organization as well as within a department or cross-departments)
- LEAN Leadership knowledge / LEAN Values & Philosophy
- Experience of working in manufacturing processes, ideally with leadership experience (e.g. Team Leader, Project Manager)
- Experience in project management with multi-disciplinary project teams
- Must have undertaken some training in Lean techniques
- Proven training experience including design and delivery
- Ability to coach and drive teams
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagrammatical form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables
- Strong leadership skills
- Strong commercial awareness
To apply for this role click here